Have you been told by your stroke consultant or GP that you should make some healthy changes to your lifestyle following your stroke?
Maybe you're worried about your future health, and you want to increase your activity levels or keep stress at bay to help your body to recover and stay healthy and well into older age.
The good news is this:
You're not alone - Food For Thought Nutrition Coaching helps people just like you to take charge of their health and wellbeing through our lifestyle changing health plans.
Does this sound like you?
Most people who have a stroke or TIA experienced it out of the blue.
They felt they ate a healthy diet, didn't smoke and stayed fairly active.
When it happened, they were completely taken by surprise.
Many of these people are given medications to manage the underlying health conditions that can cause a stroke, such as high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately very few receive any meaningful guidance around following a healthy lifestyle, and are simply told to "take regular exercise", "quit smoking" or "maintain a healthy weight".
However, we now know that nine out of ten strokes are preventable through following a healthy diet and lifestyle, and is the best way to prevent a future stroke from occurring.
he truth is: the NHS does a great job of picking up the pieces when people fall seriously ill but is not set up to focus on preventing illness.
If you're like our usual clients, you probably led an active lifestyle before your stroke, whether it was gardening, cycling, walking the dog or playing golf. However, your stroke may have affected different areas of your body making these activities more of a challenge.
Maybe you've been told different things about staying active after a stroke. Perhaps one person has told you to "put your feet up and rest" while another person has suggested you join a gym or an exercise class.
Being told lots of contradictory things can be so confusing and leave you struggling to make a decision.
If any of the above sounds like you, then we'd love to speak to you and tell you about how we can help!
Why not take one of the options below and let us help you make the right decision about living a healthier lifestyle?
There are 3 options to choose from to get started:
Ready to Get Going with Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching Right Away?
If you're ready to discover the best way to live a healthier lifestyle to get you feeling feeling fitter, healthier and more confident without dieting, deprivation or fad workouts, use the link below to get started!
Request a Free Telephone Consultation
Get some free, actionable advice over the phone from a stroke specialist nutrition coach.
Click to request a completely free telephone consultation to have all your questions answered, with absolutely no obligation to book.
Request a Free Discovery Session
Skeptical about how our help is different to other healthy eating programmes? Book a Free Discovery Session and chat with a specialist nutrition coach!
We'll show you who we are, how we work and help you make the best decision about your diet and lifestyle.
Looking for help to start making healthy lifestyle changes? Here are 5 simple ways you can get started TODAY!
1. Keep on the move. Exercise keeps you fit and healthy, reducing the chance of another stroke and improving your overall wellbeing. Even if your mobility is restricted after a stroke, there will be ways you can stay active such as taking short, frequent walks or participating in a chair-based workout.
2. Manage your stress. Whilst the odd stressful day is unlikely to lead to a stroke, long-term stress has been found to increase stroke risk by influencing other risk factors such as high blood pressure, smoking and dietary choices. Set aside time each day to enagage in hobbies or activities that help you to feel relaxed and, if you are struggling with stress, don't be afraid to ask for help.
3. Get a good night's sleep. Quality sleep is one of the most important factors in making the best possible recovery from a stroke, however sleep disruption is very common following a stroke. Keeping your bedroom dark and comfortable, along with going to sleep and waking at the same time each day can assist with getting a good night's sleep.
4. Stay hydrated. About 75% of the brain is made up of water, with even mild dehydration increasing fatigue, affecting memory and concentration, and altering mood. Water and herbal teas are most effective at hydrating the body but moderate intakes of tea and coffee also count towards your daily fluid intake, with around 2 litres being a good amount to aim to drink each day.
5. Make bite-sized changes. When you set yourself goals for recovery, it can be easy to focus just on the end result rather than the steps that you need to take to reach it. Want to eat a healthier diet? Throw out all the bread, biscuits, cakes and chocolate! But, in fact, your brain responds better to small, easy tweaks which you can layer up over time until you've achieved the final goal you were aiming for. Using the healthy eating example, you could start by swapping your usual snack for a healthier one 4-5 days a week, then continue to make small changes from there.
How can a specialist nutrition coach at Food For Thought Nutrition Coaching help YOU transform your health and wellbeing?
✅ Our unique method combines the science of nutrition with motivation, accountability and support to empower you to bridge the gap between the desire to be healthy and actually being healthy.
✅ Our nutrition and lifestyle plans are tailor-made to YOU and your individual health history, they will contain the foods you like to eat, and fit into your lifestyle.
✅ We don't ask you to count calories or give you a long list of "dos and don'ts", instead we are committed to finding upgrades to your current diet and lifestyle, making the transition to a long term healthier lifestyle simple, enjoyable and easy to follow.
✅ We don't just look at what you put on your plate, we look at your body as a whole, including helping you to improve your sleep, stay physically active and finding ways to relax.
✅ We will give you the time and attention you deserve to to set you on the path to your best health and an active life after stroke.
✅ We will empower you to become confident in maintaining your new healthy habits long after we have finished working together.
✅ We can help you to feel confident and optimistic about the future, enabling you to live your life to its fullest rather than worrying about your health!